Discover These Money-Saving Travel Discounts for Federal Employees
Federal employees may not be aware of all the terrific travel discounts available for government workers. Whether they’re traveling for business or pleasure, all they have to do is show their federal ID to save money on lodging, airfare, car rentals, and more.
4 Tips for Getting Federal Employee Discounts
Federal employees should keep these tips in mind when they’re ready to make their travel reservations.
1. Remember Your ID
To take advantage of most federal employee discounts, federal employees will need to present their valid government IDs.
2. Ask for the Discount
Not all federal employee discounts are listed on all websites. Federal employees may have to ask a human agent about what discounts are available.
3. Read the Fine Print
Some federal employee discounts come with restrictions; some don’t. Federal employees should make sure they read the fine print to make sure they can use the discounts how they want to.
4. Book in the Slow or Shoulder Season
In addition to any available discounts for which federal employees may qualify, they can save even more money by not booking during a destination’s busy season. If possible, people should travel during the slow season or in that short timeframe between the slow and busy seasons called the shoulder season.
Federal Employee Travel Discounts You Should Know
What travel discounts are available to current and retired federal employees? There’s a lot – all they have to do is ask.
Most of the major hotel chains offer substantial discounts for federal employees, often lower than AAA or AARP rates. Workers can even access most of these discounts from the big online booking sites by selecting Government Rate from the list of special rates available.
Here are some of the following chains and major resorts that offer federal employee discounts:
- Aqua Aston Hotels & Resorts – use the promo code GOV
- Best Western Hotels & Resorts – check in with valid government ID
- Choice Hotels – advance reservation required
- Hilton Hotels & Resorts – provide valid government ID at check-in for a 10% discount
- Hyatt – select “government” when booking online and provide valid government ID at check-in
- InterContinental Hotels Group (includes Holiday Inn and Staybridge Suites) – provide valid government ID at check-in
- Marriott Hotels (includes Residence Inn, Sheraton, and Westin) – select “government” when booking online and provide valid government ID at check-in
- Omni Hotels & Resorts – sign in with GovX for a 15% discount
- Red Lion Hotels – select “government” when booking online
- Red Roof Inn – use the promo code VP#606730 for business travel or VP#606732 for leisure travel for a 10% discount
- Wyndham Hotels & Resorts (includes AmericInn, Days Inn, La Quinta, and Ramada) – provide valid government ID at check-in.
In addition, the following Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe hotels offer federal employees a 35% discount when you use the promo code EESSW: Bally’s Hotel & Casino, Caesars Hotel & Casino, The Cromwell, Harrah’s, Harveys Hotel & Casino, Horseshoe Hotel & Casino, Nobu Hotel, Planet Hollywood, and Paris Hotel & Casino.
Some luxury hotels, such as Kimpton Hotels, La Meridien, the Ritz Carlton, and W Hotels, also offer discounted government rates on selected dates.
Most major airlines offer special fares or special baggage rates to federal employees traveling on official business, including:
Federal employees can get discounted train fares from Amtrak for work-related travel. They need to book through a government-authorized travel agent.
Car Rental Discounts
Most car rental companies offer significant discounts to federal employees. This government discount is typically available as an option on a company’s website or when booking with ID.me. Here’s what’s available:
- Alamo – 25% discount
- Budget – 25% discount
- Dollar Car Rental – 5% discount
- Enterprise Rent-a-Car – 25% discount
- E-Z Rent-A-Car – 10% discount
- Hertz – 25% discount
- National Car Rental – use the promo code GOVBIZ for business travel or GOVRNR for leisure travel
- Sixt – special $5/day rate
- Thrifty Car Rental – free class upgrade
Theme Park Discounts
Most major U.S. theme parks offer discounts to federal employees. The best place to find these discounts is at the ID.me website. Select Travel > Theme Parks & Attractions for current deals.
Cruise Ship Discounts
Many cruise lines offer special deals for federal employees. Cruise Deals for Feds is dedicated to identifying and offering these cruise ship deals, which often amount to hundreds of dollars in savings, to federal and state employees.
Several online travel agencies offer deals to federal employees on package and all-inclusive vacations. Purchasing a vacation package is often less expensive than booking flights, hotels, and rental cars separately; add federal employee discounts and there are some real deals to be had.
The most popular of these federal employee-friendly travel agencies include:
- Armed Forces Vacation Club – for members of the U.S. military
- CWT SatoTravel – a division of Carlson Wagonlit Travel
- Gov Vacation Rewards
- Vacation Deals for Feds
Let Your Federal Retirement Help You Reap All Your Federal Employee Benefits
Your Federal Retirement is dedicated to helping federal employees take advantage of all the available benefits of their government employment. Our network of financial professionals conducts webinars and seminars across the U.S. designed to help federal employees realize all the benefits available from the Federal Employee Retirement Systems and Thrift Savings Plan. Whether you need to decode government benefits or get the best deal on your next vacation, Your Federal Retirement is the place to turn!
Contact Your Federal Retirement today to learn more about all the benefits available to federal employees.